Saint Pete Wagon!

Comments

• Looking amazing! Do you have a connection at the paint shop, or are they letting you do work there?

• SPWSPW Senior Wagonist

Thanks Bro! Well I work there. Had a change in management and they’ve been cool enough to let me leave my car there. Don’t think I would be anywhere near where I am now if it weren’t for them letting me leave my car there.

Just when you think you ready to paint and get this over with haha.

Not sure if the pictures show it we were using a wet on wet sealer and it looks so gritty. Our primer laid better than that lol. It won’t look good at all if it’s painted over. Have to sand and scuff again and try not to burn through. I used this sealer on my last wagon and this did not happen. Turned out awesome. No explanation at this point. Time to get back at it.

• SPWSPW Senior Wagonist

Sealer scuffed down. Had my good friend (painter) help me knock this set back out. Laid the base coat down tonight. Friend suggested to let the base coat dry sense everything is so enclosed and has a tough time on drying which could lead to other problems if clear is sprayed on top too soon. (Pictures are crooked not sure why lol)

• SPWSPW Senior Wagonist

All the hardworking has paid off! She's all cleared up looking super slick.

• so much work has been done paint looks great

• SPWSPW Senior Wagonist

Thanks! You are right about that. Never again haha.

Bought a auto to manual block off plate for EF by NaytonTech. Not sure if I will be running a console yet. Probably not. Inside turned out so good. I wanna show it off haha. Had to modify it by trimming the tabs that hold the center console in place and filling the rest in with a two part urethane plastic repair material and A light coat of Bondo to even it out. Panel bonded the bolts to the plate so Ima go ahead and fill them bolts in and make it look smooth. Than it will get some primer and some glossy black afterwards. I think it will look great.

• Well...gifs dont work. lol

That paint looks so awesome. It looks like liquid metal.

• That’s a cool block off plate. Are they 3D printed?

I do wish we had a replacement shifter for the RT wagons. It’s so flimsy and most of the wear parts can’t be replaced anymore.

• I haven’t seen that plate before looks good, doesn't NaytonTech also sell cup holders for our center console and cup holder by change pocket by the driver side? The paint looks great

• SPWSPW Senior Wagonist

I thought it was a gif haha. It's ok I imagined it. Thanks man it does look like liquid metal! Im glad the clear hasn't died back. Still look super shiney. Very happy with the results.

Yes they are 3D printed. He makes a ton of different stuff. Maybe he could help you out?

Yea its fairly new. I tested the prototype and now we got a functioning version. Yes he does sell those things. I think he has free shipping until the end of the year. Thanks Bro!

Wagon shell has been blocked and sanded. Found and repaired dent. Must of got damaged in storage. Time to get this roof painted.

• SPWSPW Senior Wagonist

Parts are all cut in and repaired. Time to get the rest of the panels blocked and we’re good to go on painting her.

• all new everything ? your wagon is going to look incredible

• BillBoardBillBoard council member

Well this is fun! I want more!!!

• SPWSPW Senior Wagonist

Thanks Bro. I sure hope so.

I can give you more dents. ?

Hopefully it’s the last of them I have to find and fix. But I did have the roof painted. ?

• BillBoardBillBoard council member

yessssss! Looks amazing dude. Love this thread.

• SPWSPW Senior Wagonist

Thanks Bro! It's getting there slowly but surely! The other seats I had bought were pretty tiny so ended up getting this set! Custom made! They look amazing! They should be coming in the mail next week.

Panels have been aligned on the passenger side. On for good! Unfortunately the paint company who mixed the first gallon of base coat totally screwed up and over poured one of the tints or grabbed the wrong tint. Not sure what happened but when I went to buy 3 more quarts, it did not match. They mixed 3 more quarts after that and it was the same exact color of that second batch. Basically its a custom color and we do not know what tints are in it and how much. So the paint company took a picture of the color and got a 90% match definitely not perfect but it will do. I will not have the jambs and engine bay repainted just way too much time and money. I don't believe it will be to noticeable anyways. At least we have a color code now! Unfortunately, the roof will need to be resprayed again.

• Those seats look soooo good. Which tweed did you pick ? I've got a set of those in the future too, but just the GT buckets.

Have you figured out how you are going to mount them yet? Do the non RT wagons just have EF mounting points or are they different like the RTs?

• 88 & 89 wagon seats mounts are all the same, RT or not.  90 & 91 wagon seats mount the same, RT or not and different than the 88 & 89 because of the EVIL auto belts.  Welcome to the wagon unique world!  UGH!

• That makes sense, are the 88-89 the same as the other EF mounts then? I think Ive ever only owned 91s so I just assumed they were all that way.

• No! Of course the wagons are different. Search the site, a number of seats will fit but you have to swap pans and rails on most of them. I think DA Integra is the easiest to swap in there.

• SPWSPW Senior Wagonist

I love them. They turned out awesome. They have the carbon back as well which really ties in with the hood. I picked Opal tweed. This is the color combo I went with. I love the GT buckets too but I did want some adjustability.

As far as mounting them, I'm going to have a shop make some brackets for me. I'm sure they can do a lot better of a job than I could. I will upload some pics once I get to that phase of the build! I think truckslammer may have answered your other question!

Got the seats in the other day they look awesome in there! Wagon is ready for paint. I want to try and repaint the roof this week and paint the wagon next weekend.

• I'm so glad that Status has a tweed option. They sent me some free swatches last year when I was deciding on coloring. Cool company.

• these seat look great and look comfortable to sit/sleep in haha

• SPWSPW Senior Wagonist

Me too! Tweed looks great in our wagons. Nice! What color combo are you going with?

Thanks Bro! I haven't got to sit in them yet but my buddy did and he said they we're super comfy! Definitely going to take some naps in it during break. ?

Started the paint process on the roof again. Base coat was sprayed today and clear tomorrow. Not sure why it’s taking so long for the base to dry but whatever just gotta wait it out.

• I think the tuxedo option. I’m going all one color as I want to to look as oem as possible. I’m hoping I can get them a little lower with a custom bracket.

• SPWSPW Senior Wagonist

I haven’t seen that post before! I think tuxedo would look best! So you will be reupholstering door cards and rear seats?

Roof has been cleared. The color is a little different. Looks browner the metallics are finer but it will be totally fine once she’s all painted up.

• Not counting the re-spray you had to do, what does a paint job like this normally go for?

• SPWSPW Senior Wagonist

If your talking about the inside and everything I would charge a ton. Base coat your looking at about 140 a gallon. You would be safe with two gallons. Clear you’ll need two gallons. I used a less expensive clear for the inside, jambs and engine bay that was 200. The clear on the outside ran me about 400. I primed/blocked Almost everything 3 times I think 2 gallons should be good. 120 a gallon. Things like sand paper seam sealer anywhere form 200-400. Just in materials (paint, sandpaper etc) I’m sure I’m missing stuff I would say anywhere from 1500-2000. Then you have labor. I wouldn’t know how much to charge. On the floor alone I have over 30hrs including paint. Maybe 5K-10K for labor? It’s not cheap and takes a ton of time to get it right.

• Do you watch the Donut media Hi-Low videos? They just did a comparison using a 3k wrap for the high car. I like the idea of wraps, but I feel like they aren't still as good as a good paint job, and I'm worried about the permanence of them and when you would start to see wear.