tripple pillar pod?

Does anyone know if the same ones that are made for 88-91 will fit. I was looking at the recycler and they look diff. I was thinking of going out and buying three single pods. Pulling my pillar cover out and graft the pods to it and then fiber glass it so it looks sexy. Any imput is valued.

Comments

• i have the same desire ti put tripple gauge pod on my 88RT4WD. just dunno where to start.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    What are you planning to put in them?

The pillar is the worst place to position guages.
  • skinnyskinny Senior Wagonist
    why would you say that? I have driven many cars with gauges there. There really isnt anywhere else to put them with out hacking the interior up.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    It seriously limits vision (i wish a-pillars didn't exist) and they look tacky as hell. :)

I would integrate them into the original cluster or on either side of the original cluster but like... made to look half decent if that's what you're after. Otherwise just slap them anywhere that a) they don't limit your vision and b) don't get in your way
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I'm a little interested in this. I'd like to have oil pressure, temp, and vacuum gauges, but I can't see a good way to do it that won't butcher the dash. The little add-on brackets look even shittier.

Ive considered converting to ODD2, so I could just run a Scangauge full time.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Cleanest place is probably where the double vent for air is but that means you'd lose the air from there.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Haydz wrote:
    Cleanest place is probably where the double vent for air is but that means you'd lose the air from there.

Hence the aforementioned dash butchery! Now what would be cool is a little "pod" or nacelle in the shelf of the dash, above the center vent. IF you could make it look OE, sort of a miniature version of the instrument panel hood...nah, it'd still look hokey.
  • how about a digital version ?
    you can have circles, squares, digits ...
    hell, jumping rabbits for what i care...

and, oh yeah, i dont know what im talking
    about..

:mrgreen:
    ps. try the look on people's face'
    ... driving an oldtimer and
    neatly installed 5" inch gps
    on the cluster...owh...
    softly glowing in the dark

: )
    I want them in my line of sight. If I mount them anywhere else minus from the head liner I would have to look away from the road to see them. I like having my vents. Befor my wagon I was riding a metropolitan for a year. Heat and 4 wheels was the highest priority. I guess it's off to the auto part store tonight to see what they have and to pick up some fiberglass.
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    Since a EF has a nice little "shelf" on the dash, why not make a little "box" that sits on there to hold the gauges?

Could make it nice and rounded etc so that it looks like another cluster.

(I have a picture in my head of how it looks, but cant really explain it)
    Auto meter sells them. You can order them through autozone, knects, advanced. ect, ect. Found the part number on there website. For a tripple pillar poc for a 88-91 civic the part number is 22401. They had a dual pod but go big or go broke :lol:
  • stephenstephen Senior Wagonist
    Personally I think the best look and function would come from one of these mounted on the dash shelf:
    gauge_pods.jpg
    I see alot of those is 240's and sti's around here and i have come to despise them.
  • I tried to use a single 3" gauge pod for the A-pillar from a matching year Civic. It didn't even come close to fitting.

It's still sitting in my garage. I've got no idea what I'm going to do with it.
  • shenrieshenrie Council Member
    Haydz wrote:
    It seriously limits vision.

I agree.

The pods stephan posted would be my choice cause there really isnt any really good spots in ef's imho.

The DC's and EG's have theose dash bezels that are available that place a guage on each side of teh gauge clusters. I really wish there was somthing similar that we could use.
    shenrie wrote:
    The pods stephan posted would be my choice cause there really isnt any really good spots in ef's imho.

The DC's and EG's have theose dash bezels that are available that place a guage on each side of teh gauge clusters. I really wish there was somthing similar that we could use.

Completely agree. I would not like the pillar pods because I feel like they would seem to be in the way all the time. There really is no good location unless you want to give up something-vents, radio, etc. Exactly why I would use the ones I posted. They are popular because the are decent looking and very functional with minimal sacrifice.
    Okay they limit your vision. DUH how the hell else are you supposed to see them? Its just like your normal gauges, they limit your vision, mind you its the very bottom. If you cant see your gauges why even install them? I dont know about you but I want to know what my motor is doing and be able to see it rather easy. I shouldnt have to axe my radio, vents, dash to add them. If i didnt care I would be like every other ricer that stuffs gauges under the dash and in the glove box. Hell if i wanted to throw my money away like that I would just buy a WB gauge and hook it up to a stock o2 :lol:
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Yeah but when you're driving you need to be able to... you know... see. :P
  • What about modifying the cluster content, new plate 'n all
    tach, speedo and add all you want, if it fits
    Hey now there is a idea. I was thinking about removing the stock cluster and doing like a drag race style cluster with all autometer gauges but that produces more snags. I would have to replace the speed sending unit with a electronic one. Wire up all these crazy guages and warning lights. Eh hell I dont know. Maybe I will just get one of those systems like the have for motorcycles and fighter jets where it projects it up on the windshield.
  • for motorcycles and fighter jets
    oh, i'll get the helmets and joysticks and
    the missile launchpod against
    pesky little birds who ate too much

• Something I did:

In my turbo'd ZC CRX, I removed my radio and made a thin aluminum plate the same size as the opening for the radio. I used a hole saw to cut out openings so I could install 2 small Autometer gauges. You can do 3 guages in that space also, the outside gauges have to be all the way down and at the sides and the middle gauge has to be all the way at the top in the middle. You will have to trim the console slightly to clear the edges of the gauges but it does come out very clean.

Sidenote about the gauges I was running, the kid I sold my turbo Rex to removed the gauges (boost gauge and A/F gauge) and re-installed a radio. So he had no idea what boost was at or if it ran lean which was pretty important since it was my first "cheap" turbo set-up. I do not recommend FMU's at all, car always leaned out at the top end. Luckily the kid blew the motor and I didn't have to see him around my neighborhood anymore abusing my car!
  • Something I did:
    i took a picture
    i really dont want to change it for anything
    in the world...uhmm o.k...considering universe...hmmm
    tempted...but not like really :mrgreen:
    210.jpg
  • Eagle Beag: your cluster looks bright white compared to the yellowish-orangish glow like USDM's. You have different bulbs in there or something???
  • mind the red lights...exposure...

but now you mention it...
    i ripped the cluster apart today :mrgreen:
    to see if there was enough room
    for the digital antenna ...

forgot how easy that was

next time i'll give those bulbs
    a close look, then you know
  • Yeah they just look whiter, I know on the USDM clusters they use white bulbs but have a red-orange film that the light filters through to the cluster. Wonder if they use a different filter. The stuff reminds me of the "gels" the use to cover stage lights in playhouses if that helps my description.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Does the USDM cluster have brightness adjustability? In any Shuttles that were EFi you had the ability to crank up how bright it was, Eagles is probably at max. I recall mine going from dim yellow to bright white.
    yeah mine adjusts from "is it on" to "oh there it is I almost didnt see it"
  • I needed a new gauge for my battery status. (One day, I'll rewire those gas and heat gauges instead.) Since it's just a 3" face, and it came with a mounting foot, I put it in that little space next to the instrument cluster.
    36.jpg

I bet one of those flat gauge mounts could fit there, too. It's easy to see, but doesn't get in the way of anything. And what are you using that space for right now, anyway? Coins?
    See I though about the radio spot but I really like listening to 101.1 :lol: Its one of the few things that keeps me driving the speed limit and not running other people off the road. As for the clusters you can put diff colored lights in them. I know the JDM ones have a amber or in my EG SIR cluster red. Looked homo with the white faces during the day but come night it was evil looking. But back to mounting gauges. I have seen people drill out the little I guess you could call it a ledge and have them sitting in it. I will take pics of how my mechanic has his set up. I really dont wanna hack up the interior but im left with little options.