Drivers side block off plate

Copying from my build thread.

Since the jdm ones are so damn hard to find, I snagged a mirror off a wagon in the junk yard and am converting it.

21.jpg

www.civicwagon.com
So I was lucky enough to snag a busted drivers side mirror on the cheap. If you happen to have one, keep hold of it, don't toss me out if the parts that mount to the door are still sound.

So you tear the mirror apart, this took some bending and drilling to get the pins out, eventually it came undone.

Sorry for the blur the iPod wasn't behaving.

46.jpg

Inner piece. I roughed up the hole that is being filled so the epoxy grabs hold better.

47.jpg

Mask it off. If I had another one I might orient the tape differently not sure if that would help. I have a slight indentation where the tape was after filling. Could be filled again, but it's good enough as is for me.

48.jpg

Fill it up with epoxy.

49.jpg

Bam, set! Try not to get so many bubbles, I suck.

50.jpg

Then it's just a matter of shaping it.

51.jpg

Primed.

52.jpg

More shaping

53.jpg

Some Eastwood underhood black. You can still see where the patch is a bit, so I took to the wet sand.

54.jpg

Smoothed it out much more.

55.jpg

Krylon fusion flat black. I think it turned out pretty well.

56.jpg

All right, that was the easy part, now on with the exterior panel. You need to cut all the junk off that held the mirror.

266.jpg

You end up with something like this

267.jpg

Fits in there nicely. And you can see I've started knocking down the excess plastic. This is the only time I really used a power tool, so with some simple hand tools this can be done.

268.jpg

269.jpg

Masked and filled. Time will tell if this epoxy holds up to the elements.

270.jpg

Random thought, with some LEDs and careful paint you could always turn this into some custom plate thing. Like use a decal as a paint mask then peel have if back lit. Who knows.

271.jpg

So much shaping. Still not perfectly flat but close enough. Also, do not use a belt sander for more than a few seconds, at least not with this resin, it heats up fast and remelts. I may try a version with jb weld. See if it holds up any better.

272.jpg

Initial primed, I shaped it a bit more after this. Also I was getting some weird cracking on the paint. Might have been from spraying while it was too cold out. I've since primed it more and painted it. Will snap pics of that later.

273.jpg

Ended up putting some rustoleum bumper/trim paint on it. We'll see how that works out. I might smooth it out with some 2000 grit and see how it pleases me.

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Good work.
    It has to be asked. Why?
  • Dj HentaiDj Hentai Wagonist
    Haydz wrote: »
    Good work.
    It has to be asked. Why?

Fender mirrors? It'd look pretty lame to have both sets, IMHO.
  • greenteagodgreenteagod Moderator
    Dj Hentai wrote: »
    Fender mirrors? It'd look pretty lame to have both sets, IMHO.

Exactly so. I tried positioning the fender mirror on the drivers side, what I saw out of it was the back of the door mirror =D

So yeah, this is for doing fender mirrors. I'd love some OEM honda ones, but the knock offs are cheap to find, so I'll sport those for a bit. But finding a drivers side block off plate is near as impossible as finding the mirrors themselves. I do see the occasional ask for a drivers side block off plate for people wanting to do the fender mirrors.

Enough civics came without passenger side mirrors here in the states that those can still be had for not a horrible amount. My plan is to make another one specifically for making a mold from it to do some reproduction parts. I might do some of these on a one off basis for people, but they are fairly labor intensive so it would be hard to keep costs reasonable. A mold though. Yeah that's prep time getting it set up but once it is then you're golden. Especially since after the modifications this part is very simple as far as the details on it.

That said, finally did the remaining work on it so here's the rest of the dump from my site.

All right, picked up some rustoleum bumper and trim paint, it worked really well. Applied 4 coats, then wet sanded at 1500 and 2000 grit. Then used some Meguiar's Swirl X to polish it up.
    277.jpg

Shiny!!!
    278.jpg

And the interior bit, I did it in flat black because I don't need reflective surfaces in there if I can avoid them.
    279.jpg

So there it is,next project would be to see if I can make one and develop a mold off of that. If I can then I will be sure to make more of these.
    Except for real world testing, seeing how it holds up to the elements, I consider this one project complete.
  • Awesome work brother! Go ahead and start preparing to make me a custom skid plate lol! :)
  • greenteagodgreenteagod Moderator
    Looks like high strength silicone rubber may be my friend here to do molds. I'll probably do passenger side as well to have a matching set since the stock one is rubber. Figure if I'm doing them, might as well do both.
  • DatWagonThoDatWagonTho Band Wagon
    Hows it holding up?