Marks 1996 RT4WD Beagle from NZ

Hey dudes.

So this is my new car, it's super tidy, 170.000ks on it with all the extras.

I have basic plans for the car,low down on some quality 15" wheel.

Possibly tint glass and stereo.

Does anyone know much about the enines and drive train in these cars? Do they present any problems?

I am also intrigued if fitting a vtec engine is a possibility, have just started searching on here for info so will carry on investigating.

Thanks and all the best ! ✌

Mark

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Welcome. Black Beagles are the second rarest of the trims, and this is the second I have seen in a week!

Engine swaps: https://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?3814-Which-D-series-can-I-swap-in-and-keep-4WD
  • Haydz wrote: »
    Welcome. Black Beagles are the second rarest of the trims, and this is the second I have seen in a week!

Engine swaps: https://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?3814-Which-D-series-can-I-swap-in-and-keep-4WD

Interesting! What is the most rare colour? I have a friend looking to buy a red beagle in a few weeks.
  • Awesome. You are gonna love that car.
    I bit underpowered, and stock engine getting rare and HTF parts (ex, OEM alternator $1400 usd), but sound like plenty of life before that. (
    correct me forum, is that D16a6? And did they have the composite head gskt issue figured out by '96? And some beagles had ABS brakes? is that the same rear diff as US 90-91 RT's?).
    It has one of the best 4wd systems ever designed, check out my posts in multimedia for a quick idea of what you car will do, watch the rear end of my first video, that's a stock RT4WD, same basic system as yours.
    It not the reliability or functionality. It is the availability of replacement parts. Overseas you have a little better stock, but still looks expensive, and like less and less OEM parts left.
    As a DD, here was my, and others, basic time frame (in US miles). 180k-200kmi engine, 100k-200k window regulator (salt air eats these), 200k-250k driveshaft, viscous coupler & rear carriage, 300k Tranny & Rear Diff.
    Most folks now at the magic 250k mark, and having parts availability issues.
    The trend is Going toward CRV swaps, more info on this than you can imagine. Folks will have to get this figured out, as Trannys & Diffs will be the next to go out.
    Posts on this forum go back at least till '07, so can watch the progression of the vehicles, and see what problems arise when.

Best advice I can give, keep it stock w OEM parts as long as you can find and afford them. You should have a lot of life left, but a kinda expensive next few years.
    For now, you can still track down most of what you need, but quickly becoming obsolete. Maintain everything ahead of schedule, use Honda-Brand fluids esp. Tranny & Rear diff.

I am new to the forum, but am learning quickly, and have driven Hondas for 15+yrs. I am a good one to ask newbie questions re: forum usage.
    Keep on Drivin' in Real Time...........
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    it looks to already have a bronzy tint to the glass? or its the photos?

Super awesome wagon.. please keep us updated!
  • BillBoard wrote: »
    it looks to already have a bronzy tint to the glass? or its the photos?

Super awesome wagon.. please keep us updated!

I think your right about the tint glass, I never actually noticed. I still haven't got the car in my possession as yet, but hopefully just after xmas.

Thanks man will update here.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Yes injected JDM Shuttles have a bronze tint on the windows, it is standard.

The engine is SOHC ZC, the drivetrain is the same as the USDM setup.

No, you shouldn't have a big problem locating parts for them here in NZ, they are quite common.

Black is the rarest colour, but by rarest trim I am referring to the black RTi Limited Edition model, not a Beagle.

Did you pick this up from Auckland by any chance? If so, that was me in the white Familia saying Hi.

The engine is SOHC ZC, the drivetrain is the same as the USDM setup.

No, you shouldn't have a big problem locating parts for them here in NZ, they are quite common.

Black is the rarest colour, but by rarest trim I am referring to the black RTi Limited Edition model, not a Beagle.

Did you pick this up from Auckland by any chance? If so, that was me in the white Familia saying Hi.

Hey thanks for that info man. I got this sent to me as a photo, it was on the side of a haggard chch road for sale, so I couldn't resist and just bought it. Direct sent a friend some money and he picked it up for me that afternoon.

So there must be another tidy one you speak of in Auckland!

Thanks dude, look forward to picking your brains.
    really? Every single efi wagon had the bronze coloured glass option?
    Would kill for it. Our models have it but only on the sunroof, heres a pic
    171.jpg

Fresh beagle man, nice and clean
  • Every JDM wagon came with the bronze glass :)
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Grifty wrote: »
    Every JDM wagon came with the bronze glass :)

If the car was carburettor powered then it did not have the bronze tint (the vast majority of the 4th gen JDM lineup uses carbs). I have owned two and checked out at least a few hundred over the years. Have only seen the tint on EFI cars (EF3, EF5).
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    Haydz wrote: »
    If the car was carburettor powered then it did not have the bronze tint (the vast majority of the 4th gen JDM lineup uses carbs). I have owned two and checked out at least a few hundred over the years. Have only seen the tint on EFI cars (EF3, EF5).

185.jpg
    I have a spare ef3 tailgate in the shed that had black tint on the glass, pulled it off and sure enough it had bronze coloured glass. Its really subtle but definitely there.
  • 7___3___27___3___2 Band Wagon
    So I wasted no time in ripping into the car, my friend and i had it in my possession for about 2 hours and fitted the rear strut tower bar, bought a new JVC Bluetooth stereo, fitted that with the new JVC 6" front speakers, all of this went in and fitted straight away in standard mounts. Not what I'm used to with crap nissan drift cars!

Over the past few days, have bought a genuine plastic J's racing front lip, which will be interesting fitting around the bull bar. Tonight I am buying a full set of chrome US built Klutch 16x8 wheels with tyres. Next on the list is adjustable suspension, do the 2wd/4wd wagovan/shuttle/beagle share the same suspension platform?

Can't wait to get the wheels fitted up, if my calculations are right, the fit should be quite snug.

Will chuck some photos up.
    So I finally got the car back after loaning it out for about 3 weeks to my mother in law, it appears to be using a bit of oil, but what honda doesn't?

Over the weekend past I managed to score some real goodies off a friend who used to own a shuttle too, got my J's racing plastic front lip, and while I was there grabbed a genuine ef9 sir front bumper and valance + genuine lip, ef9 clear indicators and spare clear shuttle indicators. Also grabbed a ef9 rear bumper.

I wold like to run the ef9 lip as the more I look at the js lip I think it it too big, regardless the bars will have to come off until I notch the lip I end up using.

Still after some 16" wheels, and lowering suspension.

95.jpg

96.jpg
  • Zwierzak89Zwierzak89 New Wagonist
    very nice wagon :D im also thinking to put different engine :D but i'm thinking about D16Z5 from CRX :D
  • Such a beautiful wagon! Love the black too, none here in the states obviously. SOOOOOO jealous of the bull bars, super hard to find anywhere!
    244.jpg

No real updates. Though I'd just show ef facelift bumper vs standard ef5 front. Think I will stick with the shuttle bumper as the ef9 one will take a little work, and won't accomodate my headlight squirters unless I become creative.

J's racing lip is going to struggle to work with the nudge bars,and the ef9 lip doesn't fit the shuttle bumper. Picked up a cd6 (?) Accord front lip for $20 yesterday. Might do something with that.

Still, no wheels I'm happy with on the market currently, and also no word of adjustible suspension anywhere in the country.
    Ef9/ef facelift front.

245.jpg
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    What do you mean no word of adjustable suspension in the country? I run EF Fortune Auto 500 series. No worries. EF coilovers will work.
    Haydz wrote: »
    What do you mean no word of adjustable suspension in the country? I run EF Fortune Auto 500 series. No worries. EF coilovers will work.

Can't find anything man. Not really wanting to buy brand new bcs or xyz etc. Been looking for sub -$1000 suspension.
  • No real updates. Finally bought some suspension, but it's second hand, probably junk quality, I was getting so annoyed that I just bought anything and spent far too much on them. If they turn up leaking and knocking I've only got myself to blame 😂

Also bought some truhart rear lower arms to suit the new adjustible suspension. Thought I'd also buy a Megan rear lower brace to compliment the new arms, and while I was there bought a EF Megan race spec front strut brace.

All this will be fitted in the next couple weeks when it begins to turn up. Still, no wheels that I'm happy to run with.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Rear lower brace will not fit - although, I have heard of some brands fitting with modifications. Rear cross member is Shuttle specific.

Rest of it should be OK.
    Rear lower brace will not fit - although, I have heard of some brands fitting with modifications. Rear cross member is Shuttle specific.

Rest of it should be OK.

Dang, that's a real shame. I'll see what it looks like when it shows up, otherwise I'll move it on. Thanks for the info.
  • 82.jpg

New parts have turned up. Like a kid at xmas.
  • 83.jpg

Also took the car on its first big trip last week. Went really well. Can't really fault anything. What is the idea of the rear red lights in the bumper? Do you guys run them all the time on?
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    They are rear fog lights and should not be turned on unless you are in the fog. You will blind drivers behind you in the dark if there is no fog.
    They are rear fog lights and should not be turned on unless you are in the fog. You will blind drivers behind you in the dark if there is no fog.

Thanks again for your answers man. Appreciate it.