home made cargo cover

Comments

• DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    I just locked in a deal for a 90 dx wagon and it has the factory rear cargo cover, and it mounts where the seat latch is. The real cover also has little holes in it to let the speakers play through it, and it really does look like wagodizzles accord creation. I should have the car here my next week to take some pics...
  • Is this the solid cover or the "pull out" fabric?

I didnt noice any "speaker holes" on mine, Im starting to wonder if mine isnt actually from an accord then? Ooo that would piss me off.... lol

Pictures? Ill toss up some pics of mine.

EDIT

Here is the shot of mine. No cut outs for speakers…….Did I get had?

The odd this is all the mounting hardware, and the piece itself, the color matches the blue wagon interior exactly. I don’t think accords of that generation used that color interior? Also, it pulls out JUST enough to cover the rear cargo area, seems like a perfect fit which I didn’t think the accord one would be.

Cargocover.jpg
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    thats not accord. so i guess that leaves Civic haha.
  • Yeah, Im pretty sure it is. It would be interesting to see if they had diffrent cargo cover options.
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    91civicZC wrote:
    Yeah, Im pretty sure it is. It would be interesting to see if they had diffrent cargo cover options.

looks like a good find to me... congrats... there is something about finding rare parts that makes me happy....
  • I know the feeling. It becomes addictive. Then you start spending massive amounts of money on stupid crap.

OOOOoooooo look, EF rear OEM speaker pods. OOOOooooo JDM Honda Optional Floor matts. OOOOOooooooo Minty fresh EF cargo cover. OH Oh LOOOK! JDM EF 88-89 Si (ZC) Headlights!!

Yeah, the list on my hatchback goes on and on and on and on. I’m trying to NOT do that with the wagon, but when I saw this, I had to jump on it.

The next car I buy will NOT be a project car. I want another Acura, a 4 door, and its just going to get some wheels, and possibley a small drop with springs. That’s IT.

Anyway, back to topic. I want to see DRMORTYs one he got to compare!
    I think that looks right, did it come from a car with rear speaker pods? I know that the end pieces (loops) that go in the clips looks right. I can't wait to go pick up the car, I paid for it and a sedan. I just have to finish stripping my 2 CRXs and junk the shells to make more room. Mine has the holes but came in a car with speaker pods.

That addiction comment is so true. I have driven all over FL looking at wagons for sale & to junk yards for parts.. I got mud flaps for the car, floor mats, it has the speaker mounts & cargo cover, a working radio, I just got a hood & bumper, CRX lip, mid-fin. And, that is just for my 3rd wagon. I drove 500 miles just north of Atlanta for my RTAWD. I think of them as big CRXs & love them...
  • stephenstephen Senior Wagonist
    91civicZC wrote:
    The next car I buy will NOT be a project car. I want another Acura, a 4 door, and its just going to get some wheels, and possibley a small drop with springs. That’s IT.

yeah right. LOL :lol:

thats what we all say. oh just a set of wheels.......
  • DRMORTY

Nope, car that it came out of, no speaker pods. Maybe there are ones with room for speakers and ones without? When you get chance, put some shots up, I'd be really interested to see yours.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    91civicZC wrote:
    I just picked up a "Actual" OEM wagon cover, and I was looking up to see how people mountd them. I have to say Wagodizles looks almost exactly like the "real" wagon one. The only diffrence is the way the cover mounts behind the seats, but you would never know the diffrence. So instead of busting your noggin to get the wagon one, just find the accord one (not sure if its any less rare though).

I was actually hoping to find somone here with the OEM "cloth" style covers to see where/how they mounted everything. I think its one of those "drill into the plastic panle" jobs that I freaking hate.

Have I got a deal for you! Found these in the junkyard- just hardware, no cover :evil: This is definitely NOT a retro-fit rig:

439.jpg

attaches with a j-nut and a rubber well nut...I have all the hardware

440.jpg

rear hook actually has a bracket that mounts to a taillight stud:

441.jpg

442.jpg

443.jpg
  • The plot thickens, as mine looks NOTHING like this. See pics below for mounting hardware I have (currently sans L bracket)

Rearcovermounts2.jpg

rearcovermounts.jpg

If it wasn’t for the color match, I would suspect a different car (accord maybe), but the color is the same as my civic, and I didn’t think the accord of that Gen had any “blue” interiors. The hardware is defiantly OEM, but I think it may be missing some pieces which someone has supplemented with the ugly L brackets I am going to have to use.

The one you show looks a lot more heavy duty to me. Possibly that is the mounting hardware for the “hard” cover, as opposed to the “soft” cover I have? My cover would have no way of fitting what you have shown here.

If anyone here works for Honda or has buddy at the parts counter, you should have them look up the drawings for the option covers to see what we can find out.
    so at the yard today i found another accord cargo cover... if anyone is in the savannah area they should get it :lol:
  • RevmaynardRevmaynard Council Member
    What color? And how much?
    Revmaynard wrote:
    What color? And how much?

blue. prolly like $10-15
  • Wago Dizzle:

Blue? I thought accords of that gen didnt have blue? Does it look the the one I have then? Did I actually get an "accord" cover? Arrrrgggggg!

I'm tearing my hair out now.
    yeah its blue, so i guess accords did come with it :P

it does NOT look like yours however. its quite different in fact.
  • ScallyWagScallyWag Wagonist
    So: In my town we have an annual event called "spring clean-up", which is a nice way of saying "throw out anything you want week".... Curbside piles of treasures for re-users to cruise by, and lots of good stuff (I've got a canoe, roof racks, cargo carriers etc.). Here's the wag loaded with loot (and one fruit :lol: )
    116.jpg

But my point is that I found 2 retractable cargo covers, make/model unknown. The first was too wide (back to the curb!) but the second was nicely sized (maybe a CRV?)

The butt ends look like this:
    117.jpg

So, using a utility knife I cut notches like such (just like previous projects)
    118.jpg
    119.jpg

The hooks shown in other cover builds look strong and well engineered - not something i had laying around - so I used the KISS principle, a 1/8 drill and some Zip-Ties
    120.jpg
    121.jpg

The Finished Product - not a perfect fit but close, and tight, with good color match (dumb luck, the best kind)
    113.jpg
    122.jpg
    123.jpg
    I like it!!!

I did happen to get a real on though, out of a wagon with rear speaker mounts... I will take a pic later and post...

Mounts look just like the one above. Cover has breather holes for the area over the speakers to let the sound out.
  • EDwEFprtsEDwEFprts Senior Wagonist
    ^ did it look like this...?
    (i found this for sale on honda-tech)

142.jpg

143.jpg

144.jpg

145.jpg

146.jpg

147.jpg
  • AK_CRXAK_CRX New Wagonist
    just my opinion, the accord one looks way better than that factory issue cargo cover... That thing looks like an accessory design team after thought. Being all stretched over the speaker pods, with little holes in it. yak. But I still love it cause it's oem. :?
  • thats not jdm
    lol
  • Stop bumping old threads if you have nothing to add to the topic.
    My OEM Cargo cover doesn't look like that???

What is that?

It looks like the right cover, but WTF???? Shouldn't pull tight over the speakers..

You either mounted it to low or your speakers are to high...

I have to take a pic for you guys..
  • I believe it is the one for the EDM/JDM rear cargo compartments that had speakers built in which are flat. This is not for the speaker pods.
    I got my cover out of a USDM with rear speaker pods and it has the speaker holes in it...
  • You could be right but with the spacing between the body and the cover it looks like it would be a perfect fit for those of use with the rear cargo compartments and they protrude further than the USDM ones without. I would much rather have this vinyl pull type cover than the hard folding one that I have.
    ragenasian wrote:
    I would much rather have this vinyl pull type cover than the hard folding one that I have.

then lets trade :mrgreen:
  • I would but seeing as how you are whoring your car in the marketplace not sure if I should :lol: :lol:
    ragenasian wrote:
    You could be right but with the spacing between the body and the cover it looks like it would be a perfect fit for those of use with the rear cargo compartments and they protrude further than the USDM ones without. I would much rather have this vinyl pull type cover than the hard folding one that I have.

I'll trade you the Entire Civic Wagon USDM Cargo Cover Assm, Mine is in a car and looks & wors good...
    wagodizzle wrote:
    ragenasian wrote:
    I would much rather have this vinyl pull type cover than the hard folding one that I have.

then lets trade :mrgreen:

Yeah Wago

Are you going back to the way it started and getting out of it?