recover headliner

Comments

• wyld kardz ee2wyld kardz ee2 Senior Wagonist
    I think I left a little fabric,but not much.
  • 91awd91awd Wagonist
    i did my daughters car...she went and picked her own fabric out...
    2010-11-18123102-1.jpg
    2010-11-18123114-1.jpg
    i even did the da map light install..
    2010-11-18123123-1.jpg

also went to home depot and bought a 4x8 sheet of insulated foam board for like 10 bux cut it and glued it to the metal before i reinstalled the headliner.....made a big diference with keeping the heat out...no pix it was dark and my fone has no flash... :( :(

really easy to do.....
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Looks good, Jay.
  • bretrutanbretrutan Band Wagon
    500.jpg
    501.jpg
  • 91awd91awd Wagonist
    @ bam thanks..not bad for the first time...

Wow that's puzzleing..lol. looks good..
  • JDMWago666JDMWago666 Senior Wagonist
    Has anyone had a problem with the glue during the summer season?
    My recovered headliner.
    738.jpg
    739.jpg
    740.jpg
    Dinosaurs ROCK!
  • stampernstampern Senior Wagonist
    Love it - I need to find something to put on mine now -
    I still got enough glue for maybe 2 more.
  • has anyone with a sunroof tried this? i want to redo mine, but it looks like it will be a PITA to do
    JDMWago666 wrote:
    I still got enough glue for maybe 2 more.

Looks like I need to hit up mill-ends then....
    Just let me know when you want to do it. It's very easy.
  • did you all just sprayed the glue on top of the headliner and start putting the fabric??
    Yeah, basically. I started in the middle and worked my way out.
  • aight, thanks. its gonna be on my list. or ill probably just do mine free hand drawing.
    Had to cover mine since it was cracked all over.
  • mine has blood splatter. lol. its from me trying to mend my cuts from bike riddin. lol.
    I need to find some cool fabric that will go with the stock blue and possibly gunmetal later on. I'll run by the fabric store and see if anything catches my eye.
    I was going to get Curious George but the fabric was 9 something per yard. That's way too much for my taste.
    I'm headed over to Jo'Anns fabric here in a few gonna see if anything looks cool to me.
  • nice i just did mine in my wagovan thanks for the info
  • NoseNose New Wagonist
    Swipe'd: YES, Dynomat (or whatever variant you care to use) WILL help keep the heat in...however just don't expect it to be a sauna inside your car. The huge amount of glass in our vehicles makes heat loss inevitable. It WILL help some though...worth it if you've got the headliner out already, a fast/simple upgrade! :-)

JDMWago666: YES, I've already experienced droopage! :-( We had some HOT days here shortly after I did mine and it started to fall almost immediately. I suspect partly is because I used an older product from 3M called "Spray Trim Adhesive - clear". I should NOT have used it...shoulda used the one which says "Molecularlly bonds anything to anything, not safe for human use" or something. I'll try again soon with some better stuff...sucks that I hafta pull the whole thing out again, but hey. Lesson learned everyone...buy the 'spensive stuff!!
  • headliner in my coupe.
    P1013407-1.jpg
    P1013408-1.jpg
    P1013409.jpg
    P1013410.jpg
    P1013412-1.jpg
    P1013413-2.jpg
    center console wrapped as well...
    P1013411-1.jpg
    P1013417-2.jpg
  • lilROOKZ- how did you end up doing the sunroof area once it was covered? i've been meaning to do mine, but i'm not sure about how to deal with that obstical
  • lilROOKZ- how did you end up doing the sunroof area once it was covered? i've been meaning to do mine, but i'm not sure about how to deal with that obstical

theres a little strip that goes around the sun roof. take that off, lay out your material. i used bondo wedges to lay my material flat. get some adhesive spray. takes about 2 people so you can pull the material tight and lay it out evenly. just lay it out over the sunroof, let it dry. then take an exacto knife and cut out the sunroof leaving some material to wrap it around to the backside of the headliner. making slits in the corners to fold it easily. spray ur adhesive on the back side, tight so it stays in place. once that drys, put that stip back on. hope this helps bro.
  • thanks man, it helps a lot. i'll probably do this this weekend
  • no problem bro, glad i could help. post sum pics up when you get it done
  • 20.jpg

while i like how it looks in that picture, it looks less good in person.

but when i took it out, i was in for a fun surprise. the thing was so cracked, from what i assume is from when the sunroof was installed, it just fell apart.
  • looks good bro! like a fuckn disco!!!!!
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    Good stuff! I've seen fabric recovering and what looks like hand drawn pen/ink (DC Shoes logo). Has anyone painted their headliner? Not just a solid color (as with rattle-can vinyl dye) but hand-painted like a fresco? My idea may be a bit, um, ambitious, lol!