DIY Vented Hood

Since I don't have my ls right now I have been trying to utilize the time I have to get a lot of things done with my wagon, I saw this thread on honda tech a few weeks ago of a guy doing the same thing with his S2000 .
rice4life wrote: »
i decided to vent my hood to help keep the car cool on track. i picked up a spare hood to do the vents. i'll put the stock hood back on for the winter if i don't get lazy but i really don't drive the car in the snow.

677.jpg

678.jpg

679.jpg

680.jpg

681.jpg

682.jpg

683.jpg

684.jpg

685.jpg

686.jpg

thinking about doing this i still have my wrecked white hood i think ill cut out covers to put over holes during rainy season or make something out of plastic like the tail light materialsThought it was a Good idea for my wagon since I've noticed my engine bay is always really hot and considering the hoods natural slope I think it would be even more beneficial to put a vent right next to my intake to make a pseudo ram air intake (that will be described later after I put the finishing touches on this current project.
went to harbor frieght and got the body saw for 35$ I plan on returning after I'm done with the job
and I already have a drill I used a bit that was just big enough to stick my saw blade in

73.jpg
Taped off the area and used a marker to give a visual guide in the shape I want

74.jpg
drilled holes

75.jpg

did a whatever don't give af cut job because it's a old wrecked hood I kept for a reason after all small bit of advice when making cuts is to do all cuts one way , one time

76.jpg

i did the first one on the wrecked hood for 2 reasons
1. Practice
2. I plan on fabbing up some sort of bracket to cover the hole I will make in the other hood for poor weather conditions , I'll put a weather foam seal on the underside to guarantee water protection and prevent damage to the new hood .
i started late and I don't feel like being a dick to my neighbors making noise so I stopped there and started a template for the cuts on the new hood

im thinking since the way I did the first cuts left a really messy look I will cut a smaller but same shape diameter vent shape and make them bigger by grinding and sanding to the perfect size.
77.jpg
nothin better than a good IPA

Comments

• klumklum Senior Wagonist
    78.jpg
    I'm going to do the mini keg intake dealy and am going to cut the side out about 6x8"exposing the filter to where the ram air will be coming in at
    I'm going to go with a 3" wide reusable cone filter and a generic short ram and 45' elbow or maybe even ball out and get a whale dick (love the sound of those , had one on my b18 ek hatch) the idea behind it is that the canister shape will get fed air at a high rate of speed while also inducting it the canister will let cold air in and keep the filter from being exposed to the hot trapped engine air.

im trying to get the most for cheap out of my sohc zc and the best place to start is utilizing common practices shared by race car engineers
    134.jpg
    No going back now!
    135.jpg
    136.jpg

137.jpg

138.jpg

Next up cutting and rigging up the mini keg as a intake
    Plan on using a cheap eBay short ram or whale dick not sure yet
  • Looks good not the way I've done it but I was going for drop vent hood for ae86 good job. More pics please
    Looks good not the way I've done it but I was going for drop vent hood for ae86 good job. More pics please
    229.jpg
  • Bad ass keep the good work up.
  • greenteagodgreenteagod Moderator
    Gonna paint it? I'd probably do a second stage below it to divert any crap that may get in. On my old volvo there was a sort of side vent setup and you had to basically spray your filter with waterproofing on a monthly basis. I've seen some where under the cut out, they'll then do a wider panel to help shield the filter or whatever is underneath, from debris. and then there be a way for that to be channeled away.
    Bad ass keep the good work up.
    Thanks a lot appreciate it
    Gonna paint it? I'd probably do a second stage below it to divert any crap that may get in. On my old volvo there was a sort of side vent setup and you had to basically spray your filter with waterproofing on a monthly basis. I've seen some where under the cut out, they'll then do a wider panel to help shield the filter or whatever is underneath, from debris. and then there be a way for that to be channeled away.
    The mesh I got is really fine on the outside and the inner mesh is wider I'm not concerned about any debris, and yes I plan on painting my roof and hood white again
    Meant the mesh itself =D it's hard to tell from the distance of the pic but as is it looks like aluminum window screen. Where as the pics of the S2000 it looks like they ended up painting that black, contrasts nicely that way. I'm all about the white hoods myself though, plan on doing that and the roof white as well. Here in Texas I laugh when I see those fools with the black tops.

Way to make a little oven.
    Meant the mesh itself =D it's hard to tell from the distance of the pic but as is it looks like aluminum window screen. Where as the pics of the S2000 it looks like they ended up painting that black, contrasts nicely that way. I'm all about the white hoods myself though, plan on doing that and the roof white as well. Here in Texas I laugh when I see those fools with the black tops.

Way to make a little oven.
    Yea that's what it is lol, and yeah I'm painting it black forsure haven't gone to the store yet it will be black and the hood white I really think it's going to stick out after that.
    yeah I don't know why but the black doesn't work for me and it's kinda dumb to me because of the summers here get up to 110 sometimes lol white makes more sense to me but I by all means never intended to have the car look that way shit happens
    Updates?! more characters to type.....
  • RedBaronRTRedBaronRT Band Wagon
    Nice work on the vents, that's a great idea! and better yet it came out looking great also....
    Now im no aerodynamics engineer so please correct me if I'm wrong here but i saw on a muscle car show a few years back that the air moving directly over the surface of the car is "messy" in that instead of flowing smoothly over the hood it does a sorta circle as it moves over it and never really goes into the scoop/vent itself, which is why drag cars and super high end old muscle car hood scoops are a lot higher up than the hood itself, catching all the clean air and ramming it into the engine bay
    I always do notice that my engine bay is hella hot even on cool days here in Oregon so ANY ventilation is awesomeness.....
    Now this is what we all need!!!
    14.jpg

Super Rammed Air (on the intake side of course) and Hood tachs on wagons everywhere!
  • Ram air works if you're in a jet, not so much on a car. It gets you cooler air if you have a high enough scoop but it doesn't do any "ramming" just not high enough pressures there. Cowl induction works better because that's a high pressure area on the vehicle. And you don't have the lift effect that a hood scoop causes.

Hood tachs are badass though.
    Updates?! more characters to type.....

yea im working on a plastic cover made out of the same stuff that i made the tail lights out of , also thinking of doing the cal induction type thing with a plastic mold i have yet to design i use instagram as a build aside from a personal page @civicwagon_ee4 check it out its just easier that uploading to a computer and then to photo bicket then to here ya kno?
  • You and that damn light diffuser sheet =D I checked it out, I think. Though I never use instagram. But if you have them on instagram you can just link them here. They don't have to be on photobucket.
    You and that damn light diffuser sheet =D I checked it out, I think. Though I never use instagram. But if you have them on instagram you can just link them here. They don't have to be on photobucket.
    haha gotta use it somehow
    384.jpg

made a good plastic rain cover.
    its not perfectly flush yet and doesnt snap in the way i imagined but after about a hour of work heres my result
    385.jpg

386.jpg

and this random pic from my photoshop my 666th post ! lol XXX!
    16.png