Thread: Moving to NZ

Wagonist

Moving to NZ

Hey guys i have a question... I am currently in the process of migrating to your beautiful country and i wanted to know the emission restrictions and laws for swaps ect. I wont be ready to actually make the journey till December but i am for sure coming.

Wagonist

Re: NZ Shuttle owner and Shuttle appreciation meet?

Also what website do you use to see used cars and such... deff not craigslist

We have a site over here called trademe.co.nz, it is where you find most deals. There are a few more popping up that dont have fees and stuff but trademe has been the place for years now.
    BWARP.NET.NZ | BLOG | FORUM | SHOP

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/

This website will have all laws for modifying, there are no emmision testing unless you do an engine swap.

Basically any adjustable suspension component means you need to get it certified $400+ each time no matter how many mods you have done, so pays to get everything certed at once

All suspension must be captive and must have clearance of more then 100mm to any structural point unless certed

Engine swaps do not need certing if they are an engine from the same series that has the same cubic capicity as OEM and does not have more than 20% more power
    So you could swap between different D15B but if you put a D16 in it would need a cert.

If you change aspiration it needs certing

If you change seats and use non OEM mounting (make your own rails) it needs certing

You cannot remove airbags or any other OEM safety equipment

etc etc, that site should have everything.

Also every year you must pay $277 or so for registration and every 6months you have to get a Warrent of Fitness which is a inspection on your car for rust/dodgy things which are quite strict

If you are moving to a City (mostly Auckland/Wellington/ChirstChurch) and plan on having a nice modified car then invest in a good alarm or it will get stolen.

Be prepared to pay a lot more than you are used to for parts, our exchange rate isnt that flash an pretty much no car parts are manafactured here so are all imported which costs $$ (same goes for food, expect to pay about double for your weekly groceries and Petrol is currently $2.18/Litre for low octance and about $2.26/Litre for high)
    My Sold Shuttle

STOP QUOTING PICTURES, we saw them the first time!

Wagonist

Ahhh trademe is awesome! there are so many beautiful cars i have never even herd of there i cant wait.

But after you showing me the LVV website i think i am going to leave my wagon here. Seems like i would need a lot of certing if i were to bring it and would probably be a pain in the ass.

Me and my girlfriend were wondering why you guys payed rent every week instead of every month? Im sure there's a good reason for it. Seems like everything done here in america is non efficient.

Just took a phone call from a place that ships cars and it would cost 5,000 to ship... The wagon will have to be passed down to my little bro

Band Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by WagonClaws
    Ahhh trademe is awesome! there are so many beautiful cars i have never even herd of there i cant wait.
    TradeMe can be very cool, but I refer to it as The Pit of Despair. Mucho coolness abounds on that site, however the funding doesn't quite match the desires (nor does the garage space).

But after you showing me the LVV website i think i am going to leave my wagon here. Seems like i would need a lot of certing if i were to bring it and would probably be a pain in the ass.
    If it's LHD, from what I recall it's a real pain in the ass to get it road legal here.

Me and my girlfriend were wondering why you guys payed rent every week instead of every month? Im sure there's a good reason for it. Seems like everything done here in america is non efficient.
    Typically Wages are paid weekly (and even a lot of Salaries), so rent is advertised on a p/w basis so that even the mathematically incompetant can piece together a budget of sorts.

Just took a phone call from a place that ships cars and it would cost 5,000 to ship... The wagon will have to be passed down to my little bro
    That seems... excessive... I wouldn't have thought that it would cost $USD5k for half a twenty foot container from the USA to NZ. In fact, a previous workmate of mine brought a Ford Bronco with a plywood 'shell' on the back full of Harley parts back from the USA on one trip and it cost him less than $NZD3k, IIRC.

If you do end up emigrating here, I wish you all the best with the visa's and all that shit.

You wont be able to comply your wagon for NZ roads, not old enough for emmision exemption (there are emmision laws for cars being imported) and not new enough to meet standards.
    And would likely need to be converted to RHD

Also over here you can get a shuttles for cheap and anything USDM isnt really cared about so wont be amazing or anything.

Rent depends on where you live, in Auckland near city center 3bedroom house is maybe $500p/w, in other suburbs maybe $350-400.
    Where I live its about $300 for a decent house in a good part of town.
    Check trademe there is a real estate section.

What do you work as?
    My Sold Shuttle

STOP QUOTING PICTURES, we saw them the first time!

Wagonist

Im no worried about bringing our cars over because the quote i got was way to high. They ship it to the Uk first then send it over to NZ and it takes up to 6 Weeks so ya im not interested. Id rather just start over from scratch in NZ.

And im not sure where we would want to live. It all depends on which one of us finds a job first. We are going to try and get a job before we even get there and they we will work from that. I am a Locksmith and she is a teacher. Im sure she will find a job in her field way before me because according to your immigration website teachers are high in demand.

We were paying $1180 USD for a normal sized 1 bedroom on the outskirts of Sacramento the capitol of California. I have been messing around on trade me a lot the last couple of days and have found so many good deals. But just dont know the island very well yet so i cant process wheres where when im reading the citys and towns the houses are in. Where would you recommend?

One more thing Do american cars sell for more the Jap cars there? I seen a 71 chevy that would be worth about 1500 here but on trademe the bid was at 12,000 that's insane. IF so im going to ship over all my old school cars lol.

Wagonist

Come to Wellington :D Cant beat the capital

Re: Moving to NZ

Yes american cars are priced well higher than Japanese cars (generally). I knew I guy that moved here from the states and sold his truck he had there before he came over and kicked himself when he saw what he could have sold it for if he had brought it over here with him.
    BWARP.NET.NZ | BLOG | FORUM | SHOP

Band Wagon

And im not sure where we would want to live. It all depends on which one of us finds a job first. We are going to try and get a job before we even get there and then we will work from that. I am a Locksmith and she is a teacher. Im sure she will find a job in her field way before me because according to your immigration website teachers are high in demand.
    Yeah, there is a bit of demand for Teachers here. Our schools don't even have metal detectors at the entrances.

She will want to have a good look through this website NZ Teachers Council as they will be the ones she will have to deal with about getting her US qualifications recognised, so she can teach in NZ.

We were paying $1180 USD for a normal sized 1 bedroom on the outskirts of Sacramento the capitol of California. I have been messing around on trade me a lot the last couple of days and have found so many good deals. But just dont know the islandb very well yet so i cant process wheres where when im reading the citys and towns the houses are in. Where would you recommend?
    Fixed that for you. If you are having problems visualising where places are in relation to each other, I've found google maps to be really helpful, for foreign countries.

Some of the 'deals' may not be in very good neighbourhoods of the cities you are looking at.

One more thing Do american cars sell for more the Japanese cars there? I seen a 71 chevy that would be worth about 1500 here but on trademe the bid was at 12,000 that's insane. IF so im going to ship over all my old school cars lol.
    Oh hell yes. Supply is a lot lower than the demand for US vehicles here.

Council Member

When I was down there.. I was amazed at what American trucks were bringing. I would send a couple dodge v10 trucks or ford f250s down.. you'll make enough profit to just buy a house.

Also when I was down there, felt like
    if you needed more city life.. North island... Auckland or Wellington..
    For more outdoors & adventure. South island.. Christ Church or Dunedin or Queenstown.

If you live in Wellington then your only a ferry ride from south island.

It would be awesome if my wife would make the move.

What are you doing about Visas or citizenship? I heard its a lot to become a citizen. I am dual nationality, so I don't have to worry, but what are you doing?
    No, you can't touch my wagon!
    It's my Mini Suburban AKA my 4 Door Hatch

- Mad Max Wagon - My 2WD SUV
    - RT-SC-ZC-AT Rally - RED WAGON & SQUAD #013
    - Pebbles Resto Wagon & My latest wagon

Good luck man. That's quite the move. In 2008, I had to relocate my family from California to the Philippines (and I'm not even Filipino!) and it was quite an experience. Sounds like it might be pretty expensive to live there, hope you guys plan it out real well.
    ThePAC #12
    ~ Lay
    : '78 Civic Wagon : '90 Civic Wagon : '91 CR-X Si : '99 Odyssey : '03 Pilot : '77 Civic Wagon : '76 Civic 1200 :

Wagonist

Quote Originally Posted by igor
    She will want to have a good look through this website NZ Teachers Council as they will be the ones she will have to deal with about getting her US qualifications recognised, so she can teach in NZ.
    Teachers council ask Interpol (International Police) for your US record I'm fairly sure, so lets hope you are your wife are clean

Wagonist

So I have a potential job at a locksmith shop in Hastings... I talk with the owner of the shop next monday. Just thought I would post progress on this situation lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SiRge
    Quote Originally Posted by igor
    Teachers council ask Interpol (International Police) for your US record I'm fairly sure, so lets hope you are your wife are clean
    lol We are both clean. In California being a locksmith is highly controlled as well as teaching.

Wagonist
    So did you move?