Serious rust issue (need help)

So my '90 Wagon has really taken on some significant rusting issues along the wheel wells. Is there a recommended/suggested approach in dealing with it (aside from going to a body shop). I do not have any autobody work experience, but am willing to tackle it within reason. I purchased some rust inhibitor product, which I will apply after scraping/brushing away the oxidation. The steps that follow this process are what is unknown to me. Do I just buy color-match spray paint, tape the area off, and call it a day?

Any help for a novice like me would be immensely appreciated. Thank you

19.jpg

Comments

• Some pictures of what you're working with would be good, instead of a random wagon picture. Unless that's yours and it's gone all rusty in the years since that was taken. Either way one persons significant may be another persons minor issue, so some context is very much needed here.

If it's a matter of just brushing away some oxidation that doesn't sound like significant rust to me, so again some photos please.

Also if you just paint over a scraped away area, all it's going to look like is a painted over scraped away area. Filler may be needed, if it's actual significant rust you might be looking at metal replacement, possible fiberglass work.

There are a lot of youtube videos out there covering the topic as well.

For a dirty fix check out the ETCG video on it. He's no expert on bodywork clearly, but that's what you're approaching this as so it might be a good place to start.