rust prevention help

Hello, I need some help with rust prevention please. I own a 90 2wd wagon and for some reason I have to keep battling rust on the body right under the left tail light. When I first noticed it, it was just surface rust. So I sanded it down and cleared over it so I could monitor that area. About a month later I can see some surface rust and what looks like a pinhole rust spot in the same area. What should I do to take care of this matter before it becomes another rusty honda?

Comments

• Well aside from getting the hell out of those damn states that salt the roads, I'd say you're probably looking at some cutting and patching. There is likely more rust on the inside. Do some tapping around with a screw driver see if any parts are particularly flakey. If you're able to get a replacement patch from a donor car, that's a sure fire way to make sure everything is sorted.

But yeah if there was a pinhole on mine I'd want to know what was going on behind there and make sure it's treated cause if you don't get at that, any amount of surface dressing is going to be meaningless.
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    I used POR15 to save my wagon from rust and would use it again if I needed to. It literally saved my windshield channels from the horrific holes and rust and gave it strength back. If you don't want to cut and weld, check it out.
  • Yea I wish I could move somewhere that doesn't see a flake of snow at all. I hate the snow haha. But greentea not to sound like an idiot, but what do u mean tapping around? Like pick at it? I'm almost certain there's more on the inside, I have seen a build thread on here where somebody had the same problem. I just can't find it to save my life. And bkmc, how does por15 hold paint? I plan on a Fujiwara paint job so I don't want to put something on there that won't allow me to paint it.
    It needs to be painted over, otherwise it will oxidize away. por15.com and read up.
  • Por15 is definitely good stuff. I'd get it open and get as much out as I could and then apply that stuff liberally. Yeah what I meant by tapping around is exactly that, it's like checking the wall for where the studs are. Depending on the rust situation you can get an idea of what's good and what's bad by tapping at it and when you find a bad spot pick it all out, cut it out, sand it, grind it, whatever you have to do.
  • Ok I'll check it out when I get off work. Does it say where it can be bought at? And greentea, it looked like it was around the area where the sealer is on the inside. If so, should I clean that old sealer out? And if I do, what should I replace it with? Sorry for so many questions, this is my first honda that I have been trying to save from rust. All my other ones were to far gone, so I didn't care about trying to fix it
    Por15 is only from their site as far as I know. Check out their starter kit and try it out. Cheap investment to see if you're happy.
  • Naw, you can get that shit anywhere, car shows, local shops, hell even here on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/191-9766644-0032350?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=por+15

Amazon Prime FTW!
  • Ok, I'll take a look at it sometime this weekend and... (sigh) see what needs to be cut out. Thanks for ur inputs guys.
  • MLT2WDMLT2WD Band Wagon
    I have a rust patch growing on the upper left hand corner of the wind screen.
    1:is it a complicated process to remove the windscreen?
    2:is the rubber in between the glass and the body something very specific to shuttles?
    3 what is the chance of the glass shattering, to remove this infernal rust spot?
  • I'm a little late to this party, but "under the left tail light" is a small filler piece that is just bolted in and can be replaced. Unless I misunderstood.
  • MLT2WD wrote: »
    I have a rust patch growing on the upper left hand corner of the wind screen.
    1:is it a complicated process to remove the windscreen?
    2:is the rubber in between the glass and the body something very specific to shuttles?
    3 what is the chance of the glass shattering, to remove this infernal rust spot?

The windshield is glued in with a rubber molding on top. The molding is wagon specific, but the generic moldings used by auto glass shops will work. Have an auto glass shop remove the windshield so you can do the work, then have them reinstall it. Otherwise, break out the windshield, do the work and have the windshield replaced with new. My last two have been under $200 installed.