DYI: rebuilding/repair RT4wd Viscous Coupler

DYI: rebuilding RT4wd Viscous Coupler

Well after finding out my blue wagon needed a Viscous Coupler I did want any normal human would do, set out to find a good used one. So I found one, costed me $100 bucks + shipping installed it and then….Guess what? Same thing BAD!! Not working not good, Dam wait a waste of a $100 bucks. So I did some research… SuperHatch’s ref thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9772

So I made the decision that me, A guy that can build or do just about anything on a car/or in it LOL…. would disassemble the Viscous Coupler and see it could be repaired/serviced or rebuilt.

Side Note: I’m a master certified ASE Tech with over 10 years professional experience and also to note I have built well over 100 Honda gear boxes, B,D,H & K S2000 you name it I have probably made a repair to one or done a full rebuild.

HOWEVER!!! MY purpose is not to tell you all how good I am, Its to provide a DYI ( DO IT YOURSELF) on how to repaired/serviced or rebuilt you broke down non-working Viscous Coupler. There is still the matter of getting the correct fluid in this thing, my “trial” Viscous Coupler I used 75w90 gear oil, the Viscous Coupler Works!!! However I think Im going to try something a bit thicker next time. My wagon will get around in the snow, 4wd is working very well!!! Before I had NO 4wd at all.

There also Option #2 all you do is remove the Viscous Coupler, refill and them re-install. This works, but there are seals that are probably worn, most likely the fluid will leak out and then your in the same boat again.

“The problem that makes the Viscous Coupler stop working seems to be very simple, It just leaks out its fluid! No fluid no work”

I’m putting this DYI out there so…..

#1 hoping to help fellow Wagon owners

#2. Feed back to this thread of how your rebuild or Re-fill worked

Rebuild

I have tried to document this Step-By-Step, however there’s some this that are not pictured.

Step#1 Remove the Viscous Coupler

172.jpg
I dropped the drive line safety strap down to help getting the Coupler out
173.jpg

The four bolts in the Front of the VC I’m removing here probably would have been easier to remove with the VS in the wagon, that would have saved taking the greasy end of the driveline apart!!
174.jpg

Remove the 32mm bolt that holds the back drive line connector flange
175.jpg

From here you will find a several C-clips and your going to need some very good clip pliers

176.jpg

You will need to pry these covers off, very carefully

177.jpg

This big one almost killed me, LOL its very very hard to get off, I was able to tap on it all the way around then it finally loosened up
178.jpg

You will need to use a puller to get the thing apart
179.jpg

Once you get it apart there it is a million little discs
180.jpg

I will post more pic’s later but basically you replace to O-ring seals, and one normal seal in the front, I’m currently getting these seals as we speak. Because the VC is a Non-service part the seals are getting sourced from a company that specializes in seals. Re-assembly is pretty strait forward.

Re-fill

#1 Follow VS removal steps

#2 stand VS on end then remove two torques bolts, then fill
181.jpg

You may want to turn coupler as it filling to aid in the fillup
182.jpg

Its going to take about ½ Qt of fluid, I put a hole in the bottom of the bottle and let it sit over night, you may want to set in in a drain pan because once its full its going to spill out everywhere.

#3 Install back into car

183.jpg

Comments

• Thanks for this awesome article!
  • Thank you x 1000
  • Just to be clear what fluid did you use to fill the vc?
  • kylerwho wrote:
    Just to be clear what fluid did you use to fill the vc?

Good question the correct answer may change based on feeback,

however This is what I recommend:

184.jpg

Its petroleum based so it may help expand the seals and get then to work for a little longer.
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Nice writeup! Thanks!
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    ok so this is awesome..
  • Here's a link to the proper silcone fluid. I found it on a German website offering to sell it at a very high price, but they neglected to blur the label, so I was able to find the original supplier.

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/products ... icone.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Correction: After having purchased this stuff and refilling my VC, I find that the viscosity (1000 cS) is way too low. See my post below.
  • Dow-Corning also makes "Viscous Coupling Fluid" in three different grades.

http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/ ... _en&bhcp=1

It's important to note that the fluid expands as it heats. All of the info I have read indicates that there should be 10-15% air in the coupler to allow for this expansion. Too much air, the coupler will not achieve full lock-up, too little and the seals will leak due to internal pressure.

This is great, I wanted to try this myself.
  • million thanks to you. you are indeed very resourceful.

wagon...............................4ever..............
  • great write-up ryan...im guessing i'll have to do this after i fix the front end of our wagon.
  • driftin90driftin90 Senior Wagonist
    this is really awesome. will you be selling the seals?
  • FakeJDMEF8FakeJDMEF8 Senior Wagonist
    you are officially solving the common RT issues. i dont have any VC problems, but damn. good job.

got them bushings, too, look great. and thanks for the helpful Sharpie notes and smileys:)
  • This is fan-freakin-tastic! Thank you very, very much!
  • VIPwryann wrote:
    DYI: rebuilding RT4wd Viscous Coupler

I will post more pic’s later but basically you replace to O-ring seals, and one normal seal in the front, I’m currently getting these seals as we speak. Because the VC is a Non-service part the seals are getting sourced from a company that specializes in seals. Re-assembly is pretty strait forward.

Where did you get your seals?
  • AE86wagonAE86wagon New Wagonist

Where did you get your seals?

x2

I need some asap. Getting a new to me VC shortly and would like to run through it before install.

Thank You for a wonderful write up!
  • bucky4ubucky4u Band Wagon
    so what happing when these go bad' less friction to rear end force? has anyone made a solid stright back axle for a wago before? wondering the outcome of 50% force to rear'
  • suntrana45suntrana45 Band Wagon
    Great, wonderful, fantastic write up. I did some cross referencing on the fluid, as near as I can tell ( add several grains of salt), the recommended fluid is a Silcone based liquid (from the German website) was listed as 1000 cSt, this would convert out to about 250 weight gear lube. I am not sure what the SAE weight of Lucas product was or where you would find this information.
  • I made a PDF version of this at work today. (I wanted to do something to kill the time)
  • In reference to the PDF version, I notice in picture #12 it says to "Rotate the VC unit to work out air pockets until completely full."

The VC is supposed to have 10-15 % of air space for the expantion of the fulid.

Quote by "MrWhoopee",

"It's important to note that the fluid expands as it heats. All of the info I have read indicates that there should be 10-15% air in the coupler to allow for this expansion. Too much air, the coupler will not achieve full lock-up, too little and the seals will leak due to internal pressure."
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    if i take my viscous coupler off and send you it would you do this to mine?
  • In reference to the PDF version, I notice in picture #12 it says to "Rotate the VC unit to work out air pockets until completely full."

The VC is supposed to have 10-15 % of air space for the expantion of the fulid.

Quote by "MrWhoopee",

"It's important to note that the fluid expands as it heats. All of the info I have read indicates that there should be 10-15% air in the coupler to allow for this expansion. Too much air, the coupler will not achieve full lock-up, too little and the seals will leak due to internal pressure."

Oh thanks for that, I'll change it in a bit.

• pretty sweet :D
  • Cool!

I appreciate the hard work you guys do! I have learned a lot about Civics from this forum. :)
  • B-RadB-Rad Wagonist
    Great post... thank you very much for all the details. We were able to use the guide to rebuild my viscous coupler. The seals were hard and brittle... no wonder the fluid was gone and it wasn't transferring power to the rear wheels.

We picked up a couple new seals at a local hydraulic/pneumatic pump store, burped the air out and it was good to go. I'm ready for the snow this winter.

Thanks again for the DIY!
  • patprimmerpatprimmer Band Wagon
    Great work. Downloaded and printed.

Oh and to the guy that asked, NO you cannot eliminate the coupler and run on hard surface without creating problems with tyre wear, noise and handling issues
  • B-RadB-Rad Wagonist
    On a side note, if anyone is looking for part numbers for the seals, these are the ones we used.

Quad ring for the shaft (need 2)
    QR-4325

Large O-ring for the case
    MOR-94.4x3.1
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    Thanks a ton B-rad that saves a bunch of parts guys a lot of trouble!
  • Getting ready to do mine, snow is coming.

A couple of clarifications would help. Can the VC be removed without removing the drivelines?

When you said "Remove the 32mm bolt that holds the back drive line connector flange", I assume that's a 32mm hex nut. I have to buy the socket, so I want to be sure.

Still trying to figure out how to accurately refill to the proper level. Thinking about weighing the VC empty, then again when filled with water to determine the total capacity. Then calculate the weight of the proper amount of silicone oil (specific gravity of 1.06).
  • MrWhoopee wrote:
    Getting ready to do mine, snow is coming.

A couple of clarifications would help. Can the VC be removed without removing the drivelines?

When you said "Remove the 32mm bolt that holds the back drive line connector flange", I assume that's a 32mm hex nut. I have to buy the socket, so I want to be sure.

Still trying to figure out how to accurately refill to the proper level. Thinking about weighing the VC empty, then again when filled with water to determine the total capacity. Then calculate the weight of the proper amount of silicone oil (specific gravity of 1.06).

-Yes the VC can be removed without the removing the driveline(s)

-Yes, that's correct its a 32mm hex nut, same size as your front and rear axle nuts!

-That would be a very good idea!!