Our U-Joint issue is solved!

I have been going nuts trying to figure out a resolution to these damn staked-in u-joints that never had a replacement. Well I talked to Russ from Rockford Driveline and asked if the CRV u-joint would fit and he ran and measured one of our u-joints and nothing that has been produced is similar in dimensions but he said that he has had enough inquiries now that they will start production of a replacement u-joint! He said that in early 2010 we can expect these available.
Their part number will be: 430-10C...
The price will be available once they come out of production. But I personally would imagine they will be comparable to that of the CRV u-joints.

http://rockforddriveline.com/

Here is our conversation:

Hello, I have a 1991 Honda Civic Wagon RT4WD and I was wondering what you guys have for available driveline parts for this vehicle. The u-joints, of course, are those awful staked-in style and I am in desperate need of replacements for it. I was wondering if you guys have developed anything yet for this model? I wonder if the CRV universal joints would work on it? If you guys were to develop anything or even better, have an option that would work currently I would be happy to spread the word of your company on the Civic wagon forums and others. You guys would see a lot of business, there are constantly people searching for parts and Honda doesn't produce anything short of the entire propeller shaft assembly.

Thanks for your time! I look forward to your reply.

Jake Lindquist
Hey Jake, I have the 1987 Civic in the back room and honestly had forgotten where I had it... that said I did go did it out and measured up the u-joints in our assembly and they are definitely different then anything we have offered... I did find enough inquiries in my notes to initiate the development of this part but unfortunately for you it will not be available until early 2010... I will not be able to provide a price to you until we have finished developing the part. The part number will be 430-10C...

Thank you for the opportunity to help you.

Sincerely
Russ Jacobson
Product Manager
Rockford Drive Line

Hey Russ, thanks for the quick response! I appreciate your efforts and so does the Wagovan community. Would you like me to pass this information on to the Wagon forums and community? I will make a point to advocate for Rockford and I would be happy to keep everyone updated on that site if your willing to send me updates and such, you will certainly gain a lot of business by producing these. Thanks again Russ!

Jake Lindquist
That would be just fine.... we are going to proceed with development and a little public pressure always helps getting the wheels moving a bit faster!!

Thank You
Russ

Comments

• turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    cool good work
  • Awesome. Thanks for going through that to make something happen.
  • broodybroody New Wagonist
    These won't fit on a 87 rt4wd?
  • pandorasboxpandorasbox New Wagonist
    All the Wagovan u-joints should be the same dimensions. I can't wait til these are produced, it's going to bring new life to the rt4wd! Too many of
    these cars are being swapped to fail-wheel-drive because of this issue!
  • If this happens I will definately be down for some!
    It is certain. Russ said they started development and they gave me a part number so we can look forward to these coming out soon. I'll have to link Russ to this thread and see how things are coming.
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    It is certain. Russ said they started development and they gave me a part number so we can look forward to these coming out soon. I'll have to link Russ to this thread and see how things are coming.

Have him speak with Haydz, and maybe something can be setup for him in the vendor section.

Good work.
    Yeah you read my mind man. I was contemplating that same idea. I'll PM Haydz and see what can be done.
  • curtcurt Wagonist
    I will buy some too. My rear diff u-joint just went out!
  • Or Pandorasbox can speak with the guy and work out a group buy. Might speed things up a bit too if the guy knows that we are seriously down for a certain number of these. I know I would be after about 3-4 of them.
    I am currently waiting for a reply from Russ regarding Rockford joining our vendors. If he digs the idea then Haydz will speak with him regarding details and then a group buy could potentially be worked out. First I'm gonna try to get Rockford to join our forum but that's an awesome idea. I'm sure I will hear back from Russ soon, he has been great about communication thus far.
  • Well I hope it works out because this will be a dream come true for a lot of the RT guys here. No longer needing to source used ones and hope that those joints last. If need be though we can at least get a list going for him to at least have a look at to know that we are serious.
  • excellent news. I eagerly await a price! :mrgreen:
    Update: I spoke with Russ again and hoping that their marketing guy will get ahold of me so we can get something going with Rockford for a vendor, fingers crossed. Here is the most recent news. Looks like the u-joints won't be available as soon as anticipated but they are active now.
    Hey Russ, just checking in to see how the Wagovan u-joint development is going. We have had very positive feedback regarding the new product! I also wanted to invite Rockford Driveline to become a vendor of the Honda Civic Wagon forums. It's a great community of enthusiasts and there you could do sales and offers directly to the consumer. If you are interested in this let me know and I will give you the email of the site's administrator and you guys can chat on the details. I really appreciate the communication and your efforts, we would love to see your company join our forum. Again, thank you so much Russ! Look forward to your reply.

Jake
    Hi Jake, Yeah the parts are active now and we are expecting final parts for the assembly in Late March early April.... thanks again for pushing me over the hump to get these parts started... I will forward your message to Kevin Kalstrom... he has been working on our website marketing and I'm sure would be interested in your offer....

Thanks Again
    Russ Jacobson
    Product Manager
    Rockford Drive Line
  • I can wait, just happy this is going to happen!
    Yeah me too! Thank you Rockford!!!
  • Any updates? Just bought a rt4wd and the rear piece of the prop shaft is missing. I'm guessing the u-joint went bad, all i know is that I found a replacement, needs a u-joint.
  • Thank you for bumping this as I was just thinking about the same thing myself, but he does say late march early april. I just hope this is going to happen so I can stock a few.
  • Ladies and Gentleman, an update...

We are developing that part... I don't expect to see a finished part for 4 to 6 weeks.... The cup size is .867 and the distance between the ears of the yoke measures 1.670... If these dimensions match your application the part number is 430-10C and anyone in sales could help you with the pricing and take an order so you get one when I have done a final inspection...

Thank you for the inquiry

Russ Jacobson
    Product Manager
    Rockford Drive Line
    Hey Russ glad to see you joined the forum! I can't wait to see the finished product!
  • fishinfool88fishinfool88 Band Wagon
    Anyone heard anything? I haven't seen or heard anything. I've considered getting creative and making something work.
  • ragenasianragenasian Moderator
    Yes we all need some more info on this!
  • could a RR write up be posted? i have a couple questions about removal of the bad u-joint, and what holds the new u-joints in place? are they staked in or is there a snap-ring on the inside of the cup? any update on an eta? thanks
  • Just an FYI.

Had a customer bring in one of these shafts and I'd NEVER seen anything like this. It didn't match up with any of my staked-in replacements currently available from Rockford so I told him I'd do some research, hence how I found your fine place of discussion here.

(HondaCivicWagon.com. Good lord, It's true. Any activity engaged in by more than three people has an entire discussion forum devoted to it. Whoda thunkit.)

Anyway, we're a Rockford dealer so I called them up armed with this information and the part number, and according to the customer service person I talked to, they are NOW AVAILABLE and I have enough coming to fix this customer up and possible cover my butt if I drop a cap or something.

Anyway, it would appear they're available to dealers at least. Even the customer service rep was surprised, he knew they were coming available soon, but didn't know they were currently available. I'll post again when they turn up and let you know how they go in.

Boots
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    Just an FYI.

Had a customer bring in one of these shafts and I'd NEVER seen anything like this. It didn't match up with any of my staked-in replacements currently available from Rockford so I told him I'd do some research, hence how I found your fine place of discussion here.

(HondaCivicWagon.com. Good lord, It's true. Any activity engaged in by more than three people has an entire discussion forum devoted to it. Whoda thunkit.)

Anyway, we're a Rockford dealer so I called them up armed with this information and the part number, and according to the customer service person I talked to, they are NOW AVAILABLE and I have enough coming to fix this customer up and possible cover my butt if I drop a cap or something.

Anyway, it would appear they're available to dealers at least. Even the customer service rep was surprised, he knew they were coming available soon, but didn't know they were currently available. I'll post again when they turn up and let you know how they go in.

Boots
    Thanx any info will b appreciated ..
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Awesome update and thanks for taking the time to post!
  • Joints are here. First one is installed. I have a few minor complaints, but its a fix, hard to argue with that.

I've taken a bunch of pictures of the first install, going to try to find somebody to shoot some video (or at least find a tripod for my digital camera) of the other end to try to help you guys along. Its not rocket science, but it is more than a little tricky, and akin to building a ship in a bottle at times.

Let you know soon.

Boots
  • Cant wait.
  • So did the Rockford guys give up on this or is this the rockford part?
  • ragenasian wrote:
    So did the Rockford guys give up on this or is this the rockford part?
    Anyway, we're a Rockford dealer so I called them up armed with this information and the part number, and according to the customer service person I talked to, they are NOW AVAILABLE