How to: wagon power mirrors

first off you should have the set of wagon mirrors and set of sedan mirrors, you will be essentially throwing away half of each mirror from each set.

for starters, heat the sedan mirror around the edge and the glass for approximately 1-2 minutes making sure you move the heat gun around! this will allow you to stick a butter knife in one of the edges (sometimes the rubber boot that holds the mirror pulls back because of the heat and you don't have to use the butter knife) and pull the blunt side of the butter knife around the edge slowly so you can somewhat pull the mirror away from the rubber / plastic frame like so..
63.jpg
64.jpg
65.jpg
66.jpg

next objective:
remove the crews holding down the mirror motor and the lower metal plate that the mirror motor sits on, this entails that you slowly remove / release the springs from the lower metal base plate.
67.jpg
68.jpg
69.jpg
70.jpg

next:
take the base of the mirror off the mirror by unscrewing these two when you open up the hinge part of the entire mirror assembly
71.jpg

on the other side are these screws you need to take off:
72.jpg

wagon on the left and sedan on the right
73.jpg
you will be using the mirror housing from the sedan with the wagon base + metal base support

so far this is what you have:
74.jpg

from my two fingers this is the portion of the sedan hinge assembly that you will be using in conjunction with the wagon base:
75.jpg

have to use a punch to get the hinge out, remember to punch it out from the bottom and not the top, this is very important!
76.jpg
almost out:
77.jpg
out:
78.jpg
this is the part you need from the sedan mirror
79.jpg

now the boring part (unless you have proper tools this is gonna take a while), you need to trim some parts of the aluminum hinge:
80.jpg
81.jpg
82.jpg

now shave this like so:
83.jpg
84.jpg
85.jpg
86.jpg
87.jpg

also one last shave that i forgot to take a picture of, its this little nub in the middle of the hinge portion, you'll see what i mean when you put the wagon mirror assembly together with this piece.

onto the wagon mirror assembly, punch out the hinge rod, bottom out just like the sedan but the wagon hinge rod is much more obvious!
88.jpg
comparison between sedan and wagon hinge rods
89.jpg

sedan hinge into the wagon base
90.jpg

now you can put everything back together! remember to use the springs from the sedan!!!! and learn how to de-pin the harness if you don't want to cut and solder!!!

just in case you mess up, the sedan springs are covered in grey plastic and look the same on both ends.
and mirror cover base ends are different, here's a picture, wagon on the left and sedan on the right.
73.jpg

91.jpg
92.jpg
38.jpg
39.jpg
39.jpg

Comments

• turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    I was lookin into tackling this someday thanx for beating me to it.
  • moebiiusmoebiius Wagonist
    my bad.....
    did you still want the rear filler piece? got it all packed and ready to be delivered
  • H_civic66H_civic66 Senior Wagonist
    This should be a sticky if it already isnt. I think I will be doing this as well, got the mirrors and switch you have a write up of wiring?
    I haven't wired the rest yet because I want to tackle the power window conversion along with this and I'll tie it together afterwards. Thanks I hope you get it done!
  • H_civic66H_civic66 Senior Wagonist
    moebiius wrote:
    I haven't wired the rest yet because I want to tackle the power window conversion along with this and I'll tie it together afterwards. Thanks I hope you get it done!
    Looking forward to it, I want to do the power windows too my question is what do you do about the hole left from the manual window crank? I can get the panels from the sedan, but read they dont fit the wagons.
    use wagon panels, cover them up using hard thin wood for the back; then vinyl cover them or you can just use colored plastic plugs
  • jdmitrswappedjdmitrswapped New Wagonist
    Very nice DIY bro!