"how to" tailgate lock assembly removal/installation?

Hi! So my tailgate wont lock and im getting new lock assembly. Just want to know if anyone here already did this or if we have DIY. I want to install it myself but i don't know how to do it. Thanks!

272.jpg273.jpg274.jpg

Comments

• JDMWago666JDMWago666 Senior Wagonist
    I just took out the three screws, it dropped down and then I pulled it out through the side. I think mine had already been messed with previously.
  • JDMWago666 wrote:
    I just took out the three screws, it dropped down and then I pulled it out through the side. I think mine had already been messed with previously.

me too, i took out the screws and the cables still attached to it, i don't know how to take the cables out, i have no sight.
  • JDMWago666JDMWago666 Senior Wagonist
    So the cables are holding you from taking it out? You won't be able to get the cables off with the latch still inside. There are a number of clips that hold the cables in place. Try removing the clips and maybe it'll give you more room to get it out.
  • yes its holding me from taking it out.. alright i'll try it doing it tomorrow... thanks btw.
  • finally I've taken out the tailgate lock.. here's what i did to take it out.

i did remove the long rod so i can slide out the lock from the inside. that's the only thing it holds me from taking it out. but before im able to do that i have to take out some parts to get access from the rod. to take the rod out easier i did took out the key lock because the plastic clip holding the rod is to hard to split so i have to take out the key lock and save time and aggravation. :D
    and these how it all started.

take this panel out by removing 1 bolt from the outside
    351.jpg

then 2 nuts from the inside
    352.jpg

now just turn the key lock as you can see there's a rectangular hole turn it to it
    353.jpg

you can pull it out now from the inside
    354.jpg
    355.jpg

this rod you have to separate from the plastic clip so you can slide out the tailgate lock
    356.jpg

now its out from the inside, unclip the harness
    357.jpg

then remove the cables and rod from the lock assembly
    358.jpg

out and separated
    359.jpg

finished!
    360.jpg

hope this help for future reference.
  • billo.clbillo.cl Band Wagon
    Where did you get the new lock assembly?
  • billo.cl wrote:
    Where did you get the new lock assembly?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/home.htm