Bracket Free JDM Foglight Install - With Pics

I had an extra set of JDM EF9 foglights laying around, but I had no mounting brackets or wiring harness. So I went to the junkyard in search of both and I did find a nice OEM wiring harness out of an 87 Accord, but no luck with brackets.

So after about an hour or so messing with bracket ideas I took a hard look at the fogs themselves. I noticed that they came with an adjusting bracket that is held on by two ten millimeter bolts and have a mounting point on them.

I started cutting the holes on the bumper cover and matched them to the fog lights.

I then ran into a problem because of the odd shape of those adjuster brackets. They are made to fit like a shoe onto the fog light housing.

As you may or may not know, the jdm fogs are shaped a certain way to that they shine straight and to the sides at a slight angle...so to make that happen it took a little ghetto engineering.

Tools:

Dremmel for drilling and cutting.(make sure you have a grinder head)

2 Bolts that match the thread pattern in the adjuster brackets(long enough to go through a washer, the bumper urethane and into the adjuster bracket.

2 Large Flat Washers(for added support).

First you take the adjuster brackets off the fogs themselves. Notice next to the bolt hole there is a nub of metal sticking out(to the right in the pick). Grind both down so that they are flat. They need to be flat so that the brackets can sit flat on the inner bumper lip. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES WHEN GRINDING! DON'T BE A FOOL! SAFETY FIRST!
360.jpg

When you're done it should look more or less like this
361.jpg

Now, take the L(eft) and attach it to the R(ight)foglight but mount it UPSIDE DOWN. Do the same for the R bracket and mount it upside down on the L foglight. They should match up just fine. They should look more or less like this.(be careful not to loose any small parts...the fogs use these tiny pieces of metal so that the tiny ten mm bolts have something to screw into)
362.jpg

Now take the newly tweaked foglight assemblies and press them up against the bottom edge of the bumper and mark where you need to drill through the urethane. Try to get this part right because you only get one shot at this.

Once the hole is drilled you can secure the foglight down to the bumper using the bolt and the large flat washer for added support. If you have a lip it will also add to the support of the foglight. After you fine tune the fogs, tighten everything down. You may or may not have some play in the fogs(moving back n forth)and if that happens use shims in between the foglight adjuster bracket and the bumper support. I used thing foam and those babies won't budge.

This is an upside down view of it when I was tweaking the fit.
363.jpg

Here is how it ended up lookin from the rear.(these pics are right side up - the white pieces are the hard foam I used for support)
Driver side
364.jpg

Passenger side
365.jpg

And here is how it turned out!
366.jpg

I will post pics of the whole thing mounted and working soon. Hope this helps those of you with fogs and no mounting brackets!

Cheers

Comments

• ThaClutcHThaClutcH Senior Wagonist
    I had the same situation, so I just drilled a hole on the bottom of the bumper support and bolt it on there. Very sturdy.
  • Marc_EE9Marc_EE9 Senior Wagonist
    ThaClutcH wrote:
    I had the same situation, so I just drilled a hole on the bottom of the bumper support and bolt it on there. Very sturdy.

i bolted mine to the bumper as above to start with, but it was too wobbly for my liking

nice job though. wish i had some Stanley fogs :(
  • JesseCRXJesseCRX Council Member
    Tha Clutch, I wanna see how you mounted them.

Do you have pics of the mod?
  • ThaClutcHThaClutcH Senior Wagonist
    Marc_EE9 wrote:
    ThaClutcH wrote:

i bolted mine to the bumper as above to start with, but it was too wobbly for my liking

nice job though. wish i had some Stanley fogs :(

I just used some washers too, so it would stay on.
    JesseCRX wrote:
    Tha Clutch, I wanna see how you mounted them.

Do you have pics of the mod?

No, but if I get a chance this weekend I'll take off my bumper and snap some pictures. My lil bro's birthday too so we'll see.
  • Nice job.
    They stick a bit further out than stock.
    Those are EE8/EF9 fogs BTW, the non-vtec model ones are different.
    Thinner and longer for JDM ones, bit taller for Euro ones.