EE mirrors 101...

I've been looking, as have other members, for replacement glass for RH wagon mirrors. It's been said that any EF/4G glass will fit (excluding LX power mirrors, of course) Not true.

Wagon mirror in the rear, hatch mirror in the foreground:

121.jpg

these glasses WILL interchange

A different hatch mirror at front left:

122.jpg

See the difference? Easiest thing to spot is the black pivot knob, as opposed to white/ivoryish one. Both of those hatch mirrors will mount the same(to a hatchie) but the glass does not mix :cry:

Comments

• bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I bought a CRX mirror awhile back, and it did have the correct glass.

I broke it. :oops:

I'm not sure whether it's an earlier/later model thing or what, but I do know that this will not fit.

123.jpg

The location of the knob and the size/place of the adjuster "tongue" are markedly different.

124.jpg

I did learn that while it's hard to see inside the mirror with it assembled to see whether it's a "white" or a "black", you can look underneath. The black knob one has a single hole, further outboard. The white has 2 holes, further in- sometimes the innermost hole has a rubber plug

125.jpg
    I tried taking the head off of the black hatchie mirror to mate it with the wagon door mount. no dice. No pictures of that-just trust me. no way jose.

I did try this, though...

126.jpg

hatch mirror grafted to mirror delete panel. IMO better than no mirror atall, and even got the remote to work.

127.jpg

not going to use this or anything, just curious as to whether it would work

128.jpg
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    There must be something year specific going on there because i've swapped the glass between wagon/hatch/rex before. All were '88s.

Good to know though!
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    oh man, well, i guess that ends this question.

i still need to try it out for myself though :lol:
  • where can i get a passenger mirror for my 88 rt4wd wagon. this baby didint came with one. anybody pls.............. tnx
    where can i get a passenger mirror for my 88 rt4wd wagon. this baby didint came with one. anybody pls.............. tnx

http://www.hondacivicwagon.com/board/vi ... highlight=

one for sale here^^
  • i got mine and im very happy

thanks for the reply though

wagon............4ever
  • so seeing as now i know what to look for (just broke the glass when i was taping for paint), can you explain how to get it off without breaking it?
  • Take notice of the 3rd picture down. You can see how the back of the mirror has a recessed "ball" type area that goes around the ball adjuster in the side mirror itself. There is a very small screw and nut and is used to clamp down on the ball ones the mirror is popped off of it.

You get yourself a long Philips screwdriver and stick it up in the black hole; unscrew the screw holding down the clamp (no need to unscrew it all the way, just till its free from tension). Once this is done you can simply pop the mirror out, do this by grabbing the sides of the mirror glass and pull with a quick light force. The mirror will pop free and anything that was not evident before will now be as it is very self explanatory.

Good luck.
    Update: the other day we were able to replace ONLY the glass on ZCpowerR's mirror, just peeled it away from the plastic backing and reglued with some 3M plastic trim and emblem adhesive.